Manual Handling – Plan the Lift
- Can manual handling aids be used?
- Where is the load to be placed?
- Will two people be required to perform the lift?
- Clear the work area of hazards, obstructions etc
- Use the large muscles of your legs to lift, let the quadriceps and hamstrings do the work.
- Hold the item close to your body and as close to your centre of gravity as possible
- Don’t twist with your back, move with your feet. Keep your hips and shoulders in alignment.
- Pull or push if able, rather that lift.
- Don’t jerk the load. Lift smoothly
Workplace Ergonomics Presented by Fiona Wolfenden & Tessie Phan , Sydney University